Follow on Twitter!

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Surviving the Devastation of Loss

Five years later there's reflection on surviving the devastation of hurricane Katrina. I'm not referring to the devastation of loss experienced by the residents of New Orleans/Gulf Coast. I'm talking about the devastation of loss experienced by myself in the death of my dearest friend.

Katrina. We have been friends for over twenty years. there have been positive and not-so-positive times. We didn't always agree on everything. As we moved through normal life transitional events the preservation of the friendship was not due to daily contact or geographical proximity. the bonds of friendship strengthen through intimacy i.e. psychological connection based on an ever-increasing understanding of and respect towards each other.

When I received the news of her death there was utter shock, anger, and disbelief. Without exaggeration, suddenly the world seemed so different; yes, the sky, trees, and everyday routines. Everything seemed surreal. Like a hurricane that brings forth damaging floods, the death of Katrina brought forth flood of emotions that was truly unsettling.

Now five years later renewal is taking place --- Faith is replacing disbelief; Serenity is replacing anger; stability is replacing uncertainty. In the wake of Katrina, there's realization that though her absence is felt greatly, life is all about resilience. This realization is confirmed through her friends and family as they pursue their aspirations, acting with courage to care deeply and love completely again.

The movie, "Beaches" starring Bette Midler is a nice, though not complete illustration of our friendship throughout the years. There's a reminder that I have truly been blessed to have had such a friendship in my lifetime. As the bible records that the soul of Jonathan was knit to the the soul of David so it seems as though my soul was knit to Katrina; for I loved her as my own soul.

May the devastation of loss bring forth the encouraging words, "I Will Survive" so that it may produce the testimony, "I Am a Survivor".


************

"Never Would have Made it"

by Marvin Sapp





Further Reading


Related Blog --- Meeting S.A.R.A.H.




No comments:

Post a Comment